Located near the famous foot hot spring, this hot spring facility was built in 2016. It is a good place for taking a quick dip after a long day of sightseeing or hiking. It is conveniently located, though it is not a place to enjoy a luxurious hot spring experience. Frequented by the locals, it can be a good place to strike up a conversation with residents of the area. Outside the changing rooms, there is a place to relax.
Over 100 years ago, local residents aspired to have a hot spring near their home, so they built a series of bamboo pipes to carry hot spring water to their valley. Bamboo failed, as did subsequent attempts with both wood and metal. However, the residents did not give up. Today, specially insulated plastic pipes allow the water to be transported approximately 25 minutes and still arrive steaming hot!
- 10 minute taxi ride or 40 minute bike ride from JR Hotaka Station
20-30 minute drive from the Azumino Interchange
- 7726-4 Hotaka Ariake
- ¥700. Towels for ¥200
- 9:30 a.m.–9:30 p.m. (last entry 8:30 p.m.)
- The 1st Wed of every month
- Hot spring beginners beware: This hot spring is HOT, around 42.4C! The spring is alkaline mineral water with a slightly sulfur smell. Amazingly, all of the water is drawn from a hot spring at the base of the Northern Alps, some 19km away! Good for people with diabetes, digestive troubles, and muscle/joint pains.
- The large indoor pool is quite hot, and best for a quick dip. Also has a sauna.
- Key lockers
- Located inside the changing rooms